Community Group Questions | 1 Cor 2:6-16 | Oct 10, 2021
Community Group Questions | Week of Oct 10, 2021
READ 1 Corinthians 2:6-16
6 Yet among the mature we do impart wisdom, although it is not a wisdom of this age or of the rulers of this age, who are doomed to pass away. 7 But we impart a secret and hidden wisdom of God, which God decreed before the ages for our glory. 8 None of the rulers of this age understood this, for if they had, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory. 9 But, as it is written,
“What no eye has seen, nor ear heard,
nor the heart of man imagined,
what God has prepared for those who love him”—
10 these things God has revealed to us through the Spirit. For the Spirit searches everything, even the depths of God. 11 For who knows a person's thoughts except the spirit of that person, which is in him? So also no one comprehends the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. 12 Now we have received not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might understand the things freely given us by God. 13 And we impart this in words not taught by human wisdom but taught by the Spirit, interpreting spiritual truths to those who are spiritual.
14 The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned. 15 The spiritual person judges all things, but is himself to be judged by no one. 16 “For who has understood the mind of the Lord so as to instruct him?” But we have the mind of Christ.
1. What things are emphasized in this passage? Why might Paul be emphasizing them?
2. Who are the "mature" (v. 6) and the "spiritual" (v. 12)? Who is the "natural person" (v. 14)? Why would Paul use this particular language?
3. When Paul speaks of "a secret and hidden wisdom," it sounds like something a shady cult would say. What does he mean?
4. What's the purpose in speaking of the Spirit in v. 10-16? How does this tie back to v. 6-9?
5. What does it mean that Christians "have the mind of Christ" (v. 16)?
6. How does this passage apply to our present local church context?
Take prayer requests and pray. Close prayer by singing the Doxology together:
Praise God, from whom all blessings flow;
Praise Him, all creatures here below;
Praise Him above, ye heavenly host:
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Amen.
More in Blog
November 23, 2021Advent Resources 2021
November 14, 2021Community Group Questions | 1 Cor 5:1-13 | Nov 14, 2021
October 10, 2021Community Group Questions | 1 Cor 2:6-16 | Oct 10, 2021